Star Wars Arc-170 Starfighter
Arc 170 Starfighter Featured Image

This is our version of the ARC-170  Ep. 3 Star Wars. We would like to share with you the details of the process step-by-step.

The raw model is was too bad but, as all models (and Revell’s in particular), it needed some hard work. Just mention it came with no cockpit, and this is a 3-pilots model.

First of all, we paneled the pre-painted model surface. We drew the lines on the basic panel, taking pics from the DVD as reference, then we paneled the surface, wings and engine. When finished we took care of the 3- cabin lighting, the R2 unit (which we had to build on my own) and, of course, the engine.

Now the fuselage, the structure of engines and wings are ready to the first primer layer.

Although the model has only 2 main colors, white and red, we painted a first grey layer, not white, in order to increase tones intensity after it. The main raw cannons were pretty accurate, but some parts were solid and had to be remodelled. Now the main cannon is empty, so the secondary. It’s incredible the raw model didn’t come with any relief drawn.

An extra added detail is the R2-D2 unit, the cockpit came with an empty little gap painted in black. We erased all the painted zone, opened the gap to place the R2, and drilled the hole to light it up once the fuselage was done. At this point, parts were just connected, not built.

Disgusting how the raw model lacked details inside the cockpit. We added some internal details (buttons, switches, panels…) to make it looks better thought-out. We changed also the position where the rear pilot were placed originally… Why? Just to have room enough to install the LED which will light up the R2 unit… It’s cool aactually, cause we can identify better the details of the rear pilot.

Lots of work to be done yet. This is for us the funniest part of working on a model, trying to make it as real as possible. At this point the panel’s lines are placed where they are suppose to be. Then we had to give it a white layer and clean the imperfections. There were still tons of details to be improved: outline the R2 unit, add paint damage on the fuselage and some rust on the wing’s junction area and the landing gears.

We worked on the details once including the lightning system and power supply. In fact, the closure of the model with its cables, fiber optic wasn’t easy at all. The piston rod was removed as well. It was dispensable because the model was glued with cianocritale and stucked down with filler.

You should notice the damages painted on both sides of the belly. This kind of effects give the model a perpeption of usage.

The model should finally look used, but not a lot, it’s supposed to be a clone’s fighter and they’re manufacture by thousands! And hops, LEDs finally installed!!

R2-D2 unit also included two little red lights. We had to refill the cabin with some metal pieces and more staff just in order to make it look real.  At this point we were just about to start painting the engines. It took us 2 weeks. We fixed also the engine’s end just to make room enough for the leds.

Here we were still giving the last touches, such as the oil marks and rust. Once we finished marking a few flaws the engines were be ready to varnish. In general, bas-reliefs were  painted in dark colours. In this case, they’re painted in bright colours, we decided finally to install batteries.

The Arc was almost finished here. There were only 2 cannons left to be painted, and we had to fix some damages and add a pair of details after pasting the engines. Here you have the final used- look of the fuselage.

This is where we hide the batteries. Some kind of easy trick.

If you should require any extra information on the making process, we will be happy to provide it for you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>