Dragonheart – Draco
Dragonheart Draco Featured Image

Hi again friends!, this few months we went back to the Middle Ages to meet Draco, the gentle dragon. We hope you’ll like this proposal.

First of all, we needed to modify the original aspect of the model. It came with a very well-done structure, but also with the mouth open, showing its round and equal teeth, something non expected for a real dragon.

Dragon wings practically doubles the size of its body in the movie and, in the model, they were barely the same size.

The castle battlement-alike base came empty so, in order to make it more stable, we added some extra weight. Our knight, Bowen, despite it looks like Dennis Quaid, its hair were combed backwards, so we needed to add an epoxy-made hair.

Building:

Firstly, we had to close the dragon’s mouth, in order to give it a more friendly-noble look and remake its skin cracks and horns. We made this with a thin epoxy layer drawn with a modeling cutter.

The second modification involved the wings. Because they’re empty, we’ve stabbed some metal pistons inside so we could lenghten its wings. Even though we would have prefered lenghten them a bit more, we decided not to do it finally, because the final filler’s weight would have bended the wings in a short time.

We added a little bit of filler on Bowen’s head, and we remaked the sword just to give it a more scale-accurated thickness. The base were simply filled with cement.

PAINTING, THE STICKY MESS:

Base: brown/orange. We darkened this colour with burt umber mixed with a very diluted black. After that, we gave it 3/4 washes.

Once washed, and with a brown/orange and sand colour mixture (50-50%), we lightened the belly, legs and necks with an airbrush. Once dry we painted the paintbrused area with thin brush and a more watered-down colour mixture.

The next step were to apply the sand colour irregularly, on the belly and neck, using the dry brush technique.

For the top area we used a mixture of brown/orange and oxid (60-40%, masking everything that’s not scales) applied over the scaled area, from the head to the tail.

After that, this same calour mixture was darkened with an airbrush beneath the scales. We went over a drawing with brown/orange and black (70%-30%), airbrushing smoothly over the area we want to be darker.

We’ve applied a golden coat of paint to certain areas. To achieve that colour, we covered first all the surface with dark brown and, with the dry brush technique, we applied thin gold layers, specially over the front side of the neck.

Horn: ivory colour and a very dark and diluted brown, giving 2 or 3 layers. Once dry, we mixed ivory and matte white, applying it horn by horn.

For the base, we used different kinds of brown colours, always looking for irregularities. For achieving a more real touch, we applied a watered-down green. This will give us a fungus-growing sensation.

For the grey parts and scales of the dragon, we used a dark grey, darkened with black, combined with a dry brush white.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>